Tuesday, May 10, 2011

An Ode to Me?

I'm home sick today—not to be mistaken for homesick, which is a different beast altogether, no, I am home sick, in bed, runny nose, sore throat, feverish, et. al.—which, for me, means trawling the internet... and, via a long circuitous track of poking around, I happened upon the blog of an old boyfriend's new girlfriend. Now, that's hardly fair, as we were only together for one hot minute years ago, and they've been together since... as in, exactly since. But either way, it's been a long time and I only felt fond feelings upon seeing her face. We were friends once upon a time, after all. But then I read her blog and felt a little jump and a ping upon finding myself featured in it. She was polite enough to have changed my name, but it was strange to hear her story of one of my first dates with this man.

She even included a photo of her "general memory of what [I] was like, though perhaps a little less pink & blue and more maroon & navy blue. With pearls. And an apron":


First: Uh, no... just, no.

Second: I'm not sure if I should be flattered or offended, or maybe just plain weirded out.

Let me assure you that I do not (nor have I ever) resemble(d) either of the ladies pictured above. I did, briefly, have a pair of white kitten heels I was rather fond of, but that's about as far as one could go.

It is strange on all sorts of levels to be featured—as the antagonist, nonetheless—in someone else's love story. I was the force that needed to be overcome, the obstacle laid out at the beginning of the story, just so the reader knows what they're in for.

That's right reader. I'm what you're in for.

It turned out, though, that it was almost fun, if wholly disconcerting, to read another angle of a story of my life, be reminded that the stories of my life are the stories of others' lives too. As a matter of fact, maybe it felt good precisely because of that disconcertion. Sometimes it's good to feel humbled. Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that you're somebody's 'other', the supporting role—sometimes even the character the audience isn't supposed to like—in somebody else's play.

And, you know, I'm pretty happy it turned out the way it did. They sound happy. I know I'm happy, and I'm feeling generally pleased and pretty damn lucky in regard to matters of the heart these days.

So hey, thanks for the shout out, lady. I wish you only the best.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I was so disappointed in myself to not find a photo that I felt represented you fairly. I agree - that photo I used? NO, just no. I wanted to convey how charming & feminine you were and I failed. Please, please, please don't be offended! If anything, you should be weirded out & amused by my inability to find any picture online that could represent you.

    And another oh my: that jump & ping you felt? I felt it just now too! Oh, internet.

    It's strange because it is true that in writing out this story you do have a role of part antagonist (I guess?) though I have never thought of you that way so that is not what you were to me. When I tell people (verbally) how Ben and I got together I do say that he had just started dating someone else right around the time we met and people seem to have a “ooooh, drama…tell me more” reaction to that which I think is funny because it was not at all dramatic and really rather simple: I met a guy, I was attracted to him, he was dating someone else, no big deal, the end. The real antagonist would absolutely be my fundamentalist religious upbringing.

    Truly, I am grateful for your past presence in Ben's (and my) life. I will tell you why (it's totally selfish): I fully believe that if it weren't for you, Ben and I wouldn't be together. I would have never had that "grace period" when you two were dating to get comfortable even with the idea of just being friends with someone who was not the same religion as me (I am no longer religious. At all). I needed that time because if I had not had it, I probably would have cut off all ties with Ben due to being freaked out over my own emotions toward a single non-religious man. Seeing as he was not single, I could continue being friends with him & keeping my emotions in check because he was taken and as long as I behaved in a way toward him & you that I would never be ashamed of internally, then I was OK.

    So yes, I am grateful for you and it is for totally selfish reasons but I can't bring myself to truly be sorry because Ben is the best thing that has ever happened to me & I would be lost without him (OMG, melodramatic. But true!). I always make a point of how you were an important part of how we got together when I am telling people the story because I think it matters – you were not an obstacle, you were not really an antagonist…you were another human who ended up affecting my life in a seriously profound way.

    I hope my commenting here is not totally inappropriate? If so, please definitely delete this comment.

    Oh and a P.S. This is silly and doesn’t even matter & I am sure you probably don’t even care…but Ben and I didn’t start dating until 8/22/2006. In fact, I was insistent that while it was OK for us to go places & hang out alone now that he was single, we had to keep a very distinct emotional & physical distance between us because I was still unsure if I wanted to date a non-Christian.

    P.S. #2: I saw you the other day walking in our neighborhood. You looked well and happy – I wish you only the best too!

    ~Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey,

    Thanks for commenting. Your response is wonderful and welcome. And I'm so glad that you and Ben are happy.

    And I really am glad you wrote the original post. It's good to be reminded that our presence in the world affects people, that our actions have impact. That's something I've been thinking about a lot lately--the visible and invisible ramifications of our choices, the ripple effects of our being.

    So, thanks for that too.

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete